Tune-ups for Cars & Light Trucks
Preventative Care for your Car or Light Truck
Your car should receive a tune-up (often referred to as a “major service”) every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. During this tune-up your car will receive some new parts that will hopefully keep it out of the shop for a while. Here’s a few areas you can expect attention:
- Replacement of the fuel filter.
- Changing of the spark plugs (unless they’re platinum, in which case you have 30,000 more miles to go). Also examination of the spark plug wires and replace as needed. A new set of high-quality wires is worth the cost. They may be permanently attached to the distributor cap, so it will have to be changed as well.
- Check the belts. Replace if worn. Most cars today use a single serpentine belt in place of individual belts to drive all accessories.
Check the fluids under the hood and replenish as necessary. Change the engine oil and oil filter if it’s been 3,500 miles since the last oil change. Other fluids to check include: Automatic Transmission Fluid, Brake Fluid, Coolant (Anti-freeze), and Power Steering Fluid.
- Replace the air filter, which should be changed between major services–every 15,000 miles–as well.
- Service the battery, cleaning terminals and cable ends. Inspect Battery Cables.
Rotate Tires and set pressure, and while the tires are off the Brakes can be inspected.
As with all preventive maintenance performed on an automobile, tune-ups can prevent myriad problems from occurring on a vehicle. The filters can clog with use and prevent flow, starving the engine of fuel or air. Spark plugs have a recommended service lifetime of either 30,000 miles or, in the case of platinum or iridium plugs, 60,000 to 100,000 miles (96,000 to 160,000 km), and old spark plugs may cause engine misfire. Watch for Specials on many of these services on a monthly basis.
We proudly provide auto repair service to car and light truck owners in Bradenton Florida, and surrounding communities.
Areas Served : Bradenton | Memphis | Palmetto | Bayshore Gardens | Parrish | Ellenton | South Bradenton | Anna Maria Island | Bradenton Beach | Longboat Key | Sarasota | and surrounding areas.